Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Life

I wrote this for a school assignment. It is a little.... boring...





“Air tube connected” I said onto the microphone for the billionth time. I had just connected the tube that provides the air supply for the moon. The shuttle-buses will be arriving soon. “Good job Andrew” my boss replied. “Could you retrieve Remembrance” (my 24 year old daughter) “from the Mars connection station?” “Happily sir.” I climbed into my shuttle and gazed onto the nearly forgotten space station, the Moon, Mars, and Earth which was like a dead pond. With only 6 weeks into my sixth grade school year Earth had been invaded by humans from the Nebulon galaxy, dropped bombs, and threatened to set them off. We had 20 years to get out and go to Hearth, the new battle station the world was working together to build (this took many years for them to agree on doing so). Obviously it took many years for Hearth to be converted from a battle station to the new Earth. We had just finished and were now moving in the first of the evacuees. Hearth contained the fire power to destroy a galaxy with one blow… and billions upon billions of people.
As I looked back on this I realized how much memory a sixty-five year old man has…
“Let’s go to the computer lab and…” I remember Mr. Albright saying that as the sonic boom hit on that dreadful day. The first time I really realized what this meant is when I was thirty five. “Drew your wife Annabelle is on the line” My secretary said through the hologram. “Send her through and please don’t call me Drew!” A moment later my wife appeared looking tired and stressed. “Our baby Mem has just awoken and I need your help very badly.” She said groggily. “I will be home soon I just need to finish my wireless electricity project. Why can’t you get one of the maids to help you?” I asked. “This is their lunch hour in case you have forgotten! You hired these pests. You set up their schedule. You could have hired someone better in California if…” “Anna” I said in a deep tone. “I’m sorry. Just please get home I do believe Mem is crying again.” She said now looking more tired and stressed than before. “See you at home” I said and disconnected the camera feed.
On the way home I thought about the day of my marriage. Since I have moved to a small town in California, everyone came to the wedding on June 26 2025 (my birthday). Annabelle and I had been dating for 2 years. It was then when I realized I was home.
When I had entered the home Mem had indeed awoken. She was hurtling her dolls toward her mother. The moment I walked in she stopped. I could tell from that moment she would indeed be a daddy’s girl.
After helping control Mem I went outside and called Ashley, head of relocation to Hearth, and replied to her email. Earlier she had sent me an email asking me if I wanted to work on connecting air tubes to space stations and Hearth (to be paid 3,000 by the hour since this was a very dangerous job). “Hello?” I saw Ashley say. “This is Andrew Fesmire I would like to accept your offer. When do I start?” “I am pleased that you accepted my offer and you will start this evening. I have a spaceship in downtown L.A. it is scheduled to leave at 4:00 pm. All you have to do today is learn what you will be doing. Have fun!” She disconnected the video feed almost immediately as if she hated me or something but then again, who cares! Then I realized I forgot to quit my other job. I quickly called my old boss and said very loudly, “I quit!” and hung up. It was going to be a very good day.
I still regret that day. Even as the bombs were set off and I lost everything. Even my life. You only have one life to live. Live your life well and when it’s over, praise the creator for giving you a wonderful life. Nobody knows what happened to the human-aliens but that they would have used our planet, Hearth, Mars, and the Moon to destroy others. Live the best life. You only have one of them.

2 comments:

Debra Fesmire said...

This one is one of my favorites!

AndrewTheWriter said...

Oh, I thought it was kinda boring..