Thursday, March 22, 2007

ANNA

Many days it is a big achievement to get up on my own, with my niece using me as a human trampoline. She lives with me now since 4 years ago her parents passed on in a fatal car accident. Anna still believes that her parents are still alive since she is still only five years old, and that she is just on a very long vacation. It still pains me when she asks “When am I gonna go back home?” and I can’t tell her the truth yet so I just reply “A while” every time she asks. The worst part of it all is that we’re still being supported by my wife who left me on the same day that Anna was born. That day was terrible and wonderful at the same time, my wife left me, and I became an uncle. The only good thing that came out of that day was the relief that neither of them will never happen again-- especially when Anna only has 2 months to live.
At only three years of age, Anna Drew had already lost her parents and been diagnosed with cancer. This grief she will never feel, for I will never tell her. I want her to live her best life while she can. But when she sees her parents once again, she will realize everything and will understand why I didn’t want to tell her. In that event, I so much hope she will be happy with her oh so short life. These days I take so much pity on her that she ends up owning everything she sees in the toy stores as we walk down 5th Avenue. The receipts (if you put them together) would be about a yard long. But that was about to change.
“I’m fired?!” “That would be what I said Richard.” My boss replied on the phone. “You can’t fire me, I’m your best!” “I wish I could keep you I honestly do!” “Wait a minute if I’m fired, then I can say what I want to you, you lousy cheating jerk!” (By now I had hung up the phone.) I cannot let this happen, I thought. I will not let Anna go back to that horrid hospital! Just then the phone rang. “Hello?” I answered. “Hi this is Judy the nurse at St.Mary’s hospital. I was just calling to let you know that the law says that if the parent of guardian of a sick child cannot support him or her, they would be returned to the hospital for further care.” “I know but what does that have to do with anything?” I asked. “Well, your records say that your wife has just stopped supporting you a week ago, and you were just fired from your job transporting diesel into the city of New York.” “I don’t like where this is going…” “On behalf of the hospital of St.Marys we are coming to take Anna Drew to be cared in her condition at our hospital. The ambulance is already on its way. Good day sir.” With that she hung up, and just as I started to tear up, someone knocked on our apartment door.
One Day Left To Live…
“Hey Anna how are you today?” Today was one of the few days they would let me have a brief meeting with Anna. “I feels better than ever!” She exclaimed as I sat down on the foot of her bed. “That can’t be right…” I started to think when Anna said “How you?” “I’m fine.” I said as I stared at the ceiling. Neither I nor the nurse beside me knew why Anna was so active today. She was like magma ready to blow, or someone in an Olympics event about to charge forward. “Anna?!” The head doctor said as he charged in. "According to today’s test results, you will not die today. You will live to be at least 10 years old.” The only thing Anna did was ask, “What does die mean?”

No comments: